Ready to RYSE!
Rainey Institute is thrilled to launch its new RYSE Ensemble! RYSE (Rainey Youth for Symphonic-Social Elevation) unites 3rd – 12th grade student-musicians from throughout Greater Cleveland in a dynamic, popular music ensemble and immersive civic engagement experience!
Focusing on the roots and modern expressions of Jazz, Blues, Funk, Hip Hop, R&B, and other popular music styles, RYSE provides a unique artistic experience, encouraging young musicians to engage the creativity of improvisation and playing by ear, while also providing formal training, private lessons, and professionally coached rehearsals.
RYSE’s intensive and relevant music education is combined with exciting community performances as well as youth-centered civic engagement activities. This combination creates a truly impactful opportunity for young artists to connect with each other and their community, grow as musicians and leaders, and affect positive change through the power of unity and music!
RYSE SCHEDULE & ENROLLMENT
Spring 2023 Season
March 4 – May 20, 2023
(No rehearsals on 3/23 & 4/8)
Saturdays | 10:00 am – 2:30 pm
(includes rehearsals for the RYSE Ensemble &
RYSE Prep Ensembles – to be scheduled by
Rainey’s Music Program Manager)
Enrollment Interviews & Auditions
February 16th @ 4:00-6:00 pm & 18th @ 12:00-2:00 pm
February 25th @ 10:00-11:00 am
*Enrollment Interviews & Auditions, and the Family Orientation are by invitation, after the completion of your Registration Here!
Enrollment Fee: $225
(includes program registration fee and 10-week participation + weekly private lesson and RYSE performance gear)
The RYSE Experience
INTENSIVE & RELEVANT MUSIC EDUCATION
Youth-Centered Civic Engagement
- RYSE musicians study, transcribe, arrange, and perfect a wide-ranging repertoire of music (both pre-existing and self-written) and regularly perform throughout the community in both intimate gatherings and large performance venues.
- RYSE rehearsals are coached by experienced professional musicians, who guide and challenge ensemble members through the process of mastering performance material. Additionally, all RYSE musicians are given weekly private lessons to hone their musical skills—including musicianship, improvisation, music theory, and ear training—and build their artistic confidence.
- RYSE equips aspiring musicians to be better prepared for future musical opportunities, through enhanced development in musicianship and professionalism, preparing them for real-world performance situations and careers in music.
- RYSE members engage in youth-centered community initiatives, utilizing music as a platform to elevate awareness about important social issues facing their generation, ignite conversations and creative thinking, and inspire their peers to actively contribute to the well-being of our community.
- Presenting creative and inspiring performances, a bold and youthful musical repertoire, and a commitment to both artistry and social impact, RYSE members collaborate with local civic leaders and community organizations to help unite and mobilize young people to address social challenges.
Rainey’s RYSE Ensemble and RYSE Prep Ensembles give young musicians at all levels the opportunity to learn, develop, and perform at a rhythm that maximizes their ability and potential. After registering, all musicians complete an initial interview and audition to assess their current skills, and are then placed at an ensemble level that will allow Rainey’s teaching artists to best coach and cultivate their growth and advancement.
At all levels, musicians have opportunities to perform, as well as participate in RYSE’s civic engagement activities. And as Prep Ensemble members develop musically, they are given the opportunity to ultimately join and perform in the RYSE Ensemble!
The RYSE Ensemble
The RYSE Ensemble: RYSE is designed for our most advanced musicians, and is a professional-level performing ensemble. RYSE works on a more advanced musical repertoire, utilizes the widest range of materials, and maintains a more extensive and regular performance schedule. Rehearsals are held at Rainey each Saturday from 1:00 – 2:30 pm.
RYSE Ignition: Ignition is our Level I prep ensemble, designed for beginning instrumentalists and/or vocalists. Ignition focuses on core musicality, group playing, and fundamental skills. Rehearsals are held at Rainey each Saturday from 10:00 – 11:15 am.
RYSE Fusion: Fusion is our Level II prep ensemble, designed for more advanced/experienced musicians. Fusion is where the training wheels come off and musicians are expected to put the core concepts developed in Ignition into action—honing them to a fine point. Rehearsals are held at Rainey each Saturday from 11:30 am – 12:45 pm.
“I volunteer at Rainey because giving back to the children of our community brings joy to my heart.”
— Rainey Volunteer